Monday, February 17, 2014

Spring cleaning in the winter

Have you seen the movie: 'The Secret life of Walter Mitty'? I haven't, but I've been told by my Dad and sister that I am a female version of Walter Mitty.
Like Walter, I have an over-active imagination but in real life I play it fairly safe and am a bit shy. If you could just see my day dreams or my dreams you'd be inspired to write a screen play. I'm sure of it! In my mind I'm basically a dragon slayer.
Honestly, I can escape from many a situation into my world of fantasy or musings. It doesn't take much to make mind go off on a tangent. There has been many, many times that I refocus on the present to realize someone has been trying to get my attention for a long time.
What if that someone is God?
In yesterday's sermon, Pastor Julian was preaching on Luke 8: 1-21 and he brought up a good point while reflecting on the parable of the sower. Often people, like me, who have grown up in the church their entire lives can start becoming unresponsive to the gospel. They are like the seed that falls upon the good soil but gets choked by the thorns or the : 'cares and riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not mature' (Luke 8:14 ESV). Julian challenged us to look at our priorities and declutter our lives to give ample time for reading the word, fellowshipping and being at church. 
What if you're at church but ... you're not at church?

I realized today, as I day dreamed out the window while I was supposed to be studying, that by day dreaming during the service I am exactly like that seed that won't mature. The decluttering needs to start before the church service though. My world view and musings are constantly being influenced by the secular music I listen to, Pinterest, Netflix ..etc... All those things, cumulated together, take up hours of my life. Seemingly harmless, but I know myself, and I know that the 'cares and riches and pleasures of life' are what I'm focussing on more than Christ. 

I also need to declutter my attitude. 

I have not even cone close to being completely sanctified. Yet, I subconsciously think that because I grew up with sound teaching I can now coast. Such a dangerous and presumptuous mindset! I encourage you pastor's kids and all of you who grew up in Christian homes to not adopt this prideful attitude. 
By not being present in corporate worship and during the teaching of the Word spiritual growth can definitely be stunted, you miss out on so many blessings and doubts and misgivings start to grow. Satan knows a vulnerable person when he sees one. I write from personal experience!

So decluttering isn't just good for a home decor show. Sometimes to see Christ clearly you need to purge your life of everything your looking at instead of Him. As for my day dreaming...well  I know taking notes definitely helps me focus!


Luke 8:15 As for that in the good soil, they are those who, hearing the word, hold it fast in an honest and good heart, and bear fruit with patience.




No comments:

Post a Comment